Friday, June 23, 2006

One.


A good friend of mine told me that he thinks this was a desecration of probably U2's best ever song...a classic...a deity among songs if ever there was One (hehehe, that choomokad nicely)....I beg and continue to beg to differ most vehemently.

Me? I think this is the most passionate and intense I have ever heard Mary J. Blige. Across a career spanning some 14 odd years. Sparked the ma-excitoz I felt when I first heard her go crazy with with Wyclef as they Called 911. Seems she thrives off collabos with eccentric musical geniuses. Remember "As" with George Michael?

Bono, The Edge & co (woishe the other dudes end up as "& co"...its like those mamas who used to be in Destiny's Child..anonymous tu...digression..) tagteam with Mary J. in an immensly soul-tingling way. I could feel an inexplicable tinga-bubbliness somewhere in theiya! The live performance at the Grammies earlier this year left many utterly blown away.


Kwa ufupi, this retouch of U2's "One" has guzad my musical hanjams in a way they haven't been guzwad in a long time.

One.

Currently Also Listening to:
Sergio Mendes ft. Q-Tip - The Frog
Corinne Bailey Rae - Trouble Sleeping
Kutless - All The Words
The Fray - Over My Head (Cable Car)

6 Comments:

Blogger Acolyte said...

I love both versions!I listen to them all the time!I think your friend is too much of a purist!

23 June, 2006 15:15  
Blogger CiikuMrsBabes said...

Imagine that song by Fray has fikishad me a place I cant explain. Im tired of it... As for One.. I think it was done justice

28 June, 2006 22:02  
Blogger Mocha! said...

sawa...when you are in town holla by email. mocha13@hotmail.com...then we can panga.

01 July, 2006 11:00  
Blogger Girl next door said...

Mary J. is a great singer and performer! You can just hear the passion in her voice. I'd love to see her in concert.

05 July, 2006 06:02  
Blogger The.Hanyeé said...

Acolyte: Both versions totally..umm..rock! The purist finally admitted that the soulful injection by Mary J. was for the greater good. Watu wengine!

Poi: Penda that song sana mpaka I got their album...still trying to let it "grow on me"...but "Cable Car"...tamu..will hola @ you soon..

Buffster: Wewe! I know "that place" was a ka-happy place...it has to be!

Mocha: Will hola 4 sure.

Girl Next Door: Her vocals are absolutely out of this world and filled with a richness and deep-seated emotion I cant place. Gotta admit im not too big on her "slower", more strictly R&B/slow dance music. I penda when she goes all out and does something really dancy and beaty (Real Love) andmore when its contemporary & eclectic (One, As, 911 etc)

05 July, 2006 06:25  
Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

ur right there. 911 is prolly the best she has ever done...that song be mad power..even wyclef was at its best

hey dude:do me a favor and change to my new url...LOL and choma my ka-surname im hiding incognito but that nick to the...is funny! i was like singing "yeah u know me!"

05 July, 2006 07:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home